Landsec were having major issues with their existing smoke and damper control system and its integration with the sitewide BMS at Cardinal Place. We helped bring the existing system back under control.
Project: SCS Controller and Head End upgrade, subsequent service and maintenance contract
Client: Land Securities Group PLC / NG Bailey Limited
Building Type: Retail and Office
Cardinal Place in Victoria, London is a true regeneration and transformation project. Made up of three buildings – Cardinal Place, Palace Street and 80-100 Victoria Street, over a million square feet of retail, office and residential development. Landsec have created a vibrant hub encompassing home, work and social environments.
There was no visibility of where the faults resided on the system, and Landsec were considering stripping the system out and starting again. Due to the importance of this life-safety critical system, there was still a degree of uncertainty around compliance. The initial installation project was undertaken by our existing client, COLT in the early 2000s. This consisted of a very complex smoke management system utilising Honeywell’s XL5000 range of controllers across the estate with multiple interlinked LON networks. Their system had been failing and Landsec had gone to tender for a complete replacement of the system.
After evaluating the existing BMS and SCS specifications, we first interrogated and subsequently translated the control software from the legacy Honeywell CARE system onto the cutting-edge Tridium Niagara platform (24x unsupported Honeywell XL-50 controllers were replaced with 3x Honeywell HAWK controllers).
We designed, built, installed and commissioned a new control panel. We also modified the existing Cardinal Place control panel so the two worked in perfect sync.
Our works were aligned with the site’s BMS upgrade. Using IP based open protocols and our graphics specifically developed for the system, we were able to integrate the smoke control system into the sitewide BMS. This provided the operators with a more seamless platform to manage their systems.
We supplied and installed a new controller within the Fireman’s Override Panel located within the Fire Control Centre. This interfaced with the site BMS via BACnet, project management, engineering, software preparation and commissioning provided.
The upgrade was carried out with minimal impact to the building and its occupants. To make sure our client’s tenants weren’t inconvenienced by loud fans going on and off, we carried out all testing and verification after hours and maintained a functional and safe system throughout the upgrade period.
- A fully compliant system with capacity to spare. The client was pleased with the quality of our graphics and how simple it was for their operators to get to grips with the user interface.
- The new Head End touchscreen allowed their on-site team access to system parameters and information that was previously unavailable. This made fault finding and system monitoring much more straightforward.
- New controllers allowed remote access for fault and alarm reporting, software updates, firmware updates and backups. This enables us to virtually assist NG Bailey, the building management company, in keeping the system up to date in the future.
- Integral fault analysis, system visibility and remote monitoring have helped to enhance response time and reduce call out costs. This gives the site maintenance team the ability to rectify the physical issues and enables our team to provide rapid, specialist support when needed.
- The facilities management company, NG Bailey, were so pleased with how the project ran and with the upgraded system that they asked for the solution to be rolled across to their second site, Palace Street.
- We have now joined them as their ongoing servicing and maintenance partner and specified specialist subcontractor for the smoke control system at both sites. We have already undertaken further works, some quite substantial, as tenants have changed and re-fits and refurbishments have taken place.
System Partners and Solutions